Thursday, April 29, 2010

Making strides

Last Saturday I participated in the Walk For Babies downtown Denver. I was really impressed with how many people showed up. I think the announcers said close to 5,000. I was not expecting that many people, and it warmed my heart to see how many actually care about the cause The March of Dimes helps fight. No one seemed deterred by the rainy, could weather either. I completed all 5 miles without any hiccups and wore my "I walk for Jackson" sticker proudly!

This weekend I am headed to Indiana. I, along with some other friends and family will be dedicating a tree in honor of Jackson at my parents' and Brent's parents' church. We wanted to leave some kind of little legacy for Jackson and, conveniently, our parents go to the same church, so we thought it would be a neat place to have the tree. The church recently built a new building on different property, so it was a great opportunity to pick out a baby tree to watch grow. The tree is near the church's school and playground, so children will pass it everyday. I am so excited that I will be in town for the ceremony. Brent will still be in Colorado, but his presence there will definitely be known. He recorded a song that he wrote for Jackson, and we plan on playing it there. If you are in the area and interested in attending, the ceremony will be held May 2 after the 10:45 a.m. service (around noon) at Our Shepherd Lutheran Church, 9201 East County Road 100 North, Avon, IN, 46123. My parents are planning a luncheon at their house after.

My second blanket is slowly making strides. I had a big oops last week when I accidentally dropped the knitting on the floor and a bunch of stitches slipped off the needle. I tried really hard to save it, but in the end I ended up redoing the whole thing. Luckily I wasn't too far along, and feel like I'm getting somewhere now. My great mother-in-law informed me of a little stopper to put on the end of the needle so this doesn't happen again. You learn as you go I guess! I seem to be on a track record -- I started my first blanket over too. Oh well. Second time was a charm with the first, and I hope that rings true for this one too. And for all you knitters who are knitting along with me, I will never be able to thank you enough and want to tell you to keep it up! I can't wait to have a couple of blankets in hand to be able to make my first donation.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy you are able to plant a tree. I wish we could be there, but you are all in our prayers always. Geri

    ReplyDelete